Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ten cuidado cuando está con los extranjeros...


This week I wanted to write about my experiences interacting with individuals from foreign countries.  While some of these scenarios took place in a classroom environment, others occurred during three community service trips to Buenos Aires, Argentina. All of my encounters with people from other places have not only taught me to respect the values and ideals of others, but also have helped me realize that sometimes it's okay to step back and laugh at things you normally would not. 

Last semester, I took a religious studies class with a woman whose family was from Mexico. Of course, it being a class that discussed Catholicism in great depth, my classmate felt the need to constantly provide feedback and affirmation for the the various things my teacher would explain. 

Just for the record, I too am Hispanic - 50 percent.  My mother's parents lived in Florence, Ariz. which was once a Mexican territory. Therefore, my grandparents have deep roots in Mexican traditions

Being that my grandparents allowed their children (my mom) to raise their kids freely, I did not partake in a few of the Mexican holidays or celebrations. I was naive to the fact that the Virgin Mary played such a key role in Catholicism - my parents began to attend a non-denomination church when I was young.

Now that you have a greater understanding of my religious and cultural background, let me explain what happened in class. When our professor asked how big of a role model the Virgin Mary was in our lives, as Hispanic Americans, I quickly said something like, "Oh, I'm more inspired by Jesus' story than my Mary's" - hopefully you will not take offense to this statement.  

My classmate, on the other hand, was livid and explained that she lived much of her life according to what she'd learned about Mary.  

Moral of the story: The way I was raised is not all-inclusive of the way every Hispanic American grew up. It's okay to voice your opinions, but leave room for others to do so, as well. 

Another scenario that comes to mind, when reflecting upon my interactions with people from other countries, is when my Argentine host sister thought it was funny use the "f-word" and "flip the bird" as a joke. 


Yes, if you're an avid reader of my blog you'll realize you've met Tefi before. She's a 23-year-old female who graduated from college with a degree in cinematography

Since she's interested in film, she's spent countless hours watching American movies. Of course, what does any viewer see in those types of movies… cursing, vulgarity and person-to-person insults. 


I couldn't help but realize Tefi kept using the "f-word" and "flipping the bird" at my camera when I'd try to take her photos. When I asked her why, she explained she thought it was a sign of comedy in the United States

Of course, I wasn't offended by her word or actions, but instead took the time to explain to her what those two things really meant. In the end, she learned the American point of view, but said to people in Argentina it's perceived as hilarious. 

Lesson learned: Slurs, words and actions can vary in every country. It's imperative that we familiarize ourselves with the cultural norms before we drop an "f-bomb" or flash an offensive gesture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment