Friday, April 27, 2012

Reflexionemos

Warning: Please forgive the spastic writing and constant change of topics.

Because the semester is coming to an end, I thought an appropriate final blog post would be a reflection about my experiences in Border Beat. Not only have I enjoyed writing about the subject of higher education, but also I loved documenting the stories of interesting people.

 In addition, I must note that our Border Beat professor, Jay Rochlin, will be retiring in May. He has been, by far, one of my favorite professors at the University of Arizona. He has made a great impact on my life and I thank him so much for constantly encouraging me to chase my dreams.

 ---

 When I first found out that we'd be responsible for weekly blog posts I was ecstatic. I currently have a personal blog that I try to update on a daily basis. Maintaining two blogs, while also creating content to be published on the Border Beat website kept me busy.

I can honestly say that I've never written so much content in my life - I forgot to mention that I also write about 14 articles a month for the University of Arizona College of Medicine alumni e-newsletter. 

But the truth is, I never got bored or tired of typing away for hours. Unlike many seniors graduating from the UA School of Journalism, I still love to write. Even after four years of learning ethics, law, AP style and more, I really do love interviewing sources, copy editing and creating content. 

Another thing that Border Beat helped me to do is realize I have a passion for photography. Half way through the semester I bought a Canon T2i camera, to make meeting deadlines easier. After a few of my friends found out I purchased a nice camera I started taking senior photos. Here a few of them below.






 I know that I'm not a professional, but I think this could be something I continue to do on the side. I am so grateful that this course pushed me to make this purchase.

---
Thank you for joining me in my journey to investigate higher education and "the border", or rather, foreigners.

Hasta luego,

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment