Sunday, February 19, 2012

Unos quieren mas...

The past few weeks, the subjects of my blog have helped me understand that obtaining education in the United States is nothing short of a privilege. One word continues to be associated with American education - opportunity.


Although there are those who travel to the U.S. for higher education, there are also those that leave the country. Studying abroad is not a new concept, but something that has been popular for students of all ages for years.


Exchange programs are of all shapes and sizes. Students can choose to travel solo or go with a group, or even go with faculty from the university.


The University of Arizona's Office of Global Initiatives is home base for faculty led, student exchange and study abroad programs. Through various study abroad events and information on the websites, students are able to do research about various programs. This way, the individual can figure out which program will enable them to learn and do the most pertaining to their interests. Students not only take classes while away from the UA, but also are fully immersed in another country's culture.


Eleanor Beatty is a senior nutritional sciences major at the UA. Last fall she studied abroad at the University of Newcastle in Australia. Although she's been involved in clubs, Greek life and volunteer programs since starting college, she said she's always wanted to travel and learn more.



"I wanted to see a different part of the world that I had never been to. I have been lucky enough to go to Europe, and had always wanted to go to Australia. When I talked to my mom and dad about studying abroad they were totally supportive, and thought Australia would be a great place for me to go," Beatty said.


As previously mentioned, students have the opportunity to venture out with or without their own friends. While some choose to go on trips together, others decide to study abroad to meet new people and grow as an individual. Beatty said she did both.


"I signed up and filled out an application not knowing a single person going abroad to Australia, let alone my school. My study abroad advisor once I was accepted told me one other girl was going as well, and we got in contact with one another. We both ended up being from Phoenix, so we were able to hang out before we left so we had at least one friend from the start," she said. "We lived in different parts of the campus which was great because we were able to make our own friends, and have our own lives but were able to still have that friend from home that understood what it was like to be half way across the world. I now cannot imagine not knowing her, and she and I still hang out."


Although Beatty did not have to learn a new language to adapt to the culture, she said there were notable differences compared to her daily lifestyle in the U.S.


"They were about the same [in terms of schoolwork] when it came to the content, but the biggest difference was homework. They had none," she said. "Your final grade was your midterm and final. That made it more difficult in my mind because I needed to stay driven on my own, not because I had homework due.


She also learning the style of speech was a necessary adaptation.


"The biggest issue I had was catching onto their lingo," she explained. "They also talk fast which took me about two weeks to catch onto, but I didn't have any real problems."


Beatty said that the experienced helped to teach her a lot about life.


"I learned to stay personally driven with school. I have found myself more on top of my work because I do not want to fall behind," she admitted.


Additionally, she said she's recommend studying abroad to anyone.


"It was the best experience of my life," she explained. "I would tell them that I have never learned more about myself in my life, I met some of the most amazing people that have forever changed me, I learned that I can live in a new country without the help of my parents, and that those memories I will never forget. I have never been so happy for such a long time in my life."


Beatty has provided me with the following photos to share a piece of her experience.


Beatty visits the Big Banana in Coffs Harbour with three of her friends: Jess, Michelle, and Lindsay.


Beatty photographs an Aboriginal man playing a didgeridoo downtown.


Beatty poses "with" the Sydney Opera House.



1 comment: